Data Mine

 My Data Mine

    It is crazy what the internet knows! Have you ever tried to look yourself up on the internet? For this blog post, I am going to tell you all about what I found when searching myself on the web. 


Image Source: Author

    With one single click on Google I was able to find everything screenshotted above. From this simple Google search, I was able to find my current occupation, my past career in softball and my usernames for a few of my social media platforms. I am not confused or even concerned about these findings, but more so impressed. The internet is so incredibly smart and resourceful. Luckily, my digital tattoo is harmless and I do not have anything to hide from my past or present. More than anything, I find it useful because the information is accurate and I know when I want to know something about someone or something, I go to Google.
Image Source: Author

    Above is a screenshot from my result of searching myself on the website, Nuwber. I have never used Nuwber before, but it was a recommendation in the data mine. First, I was shocked to see they had my middle name in the information. I never use my middle name for anything and do not have it on any of my identification records besides my birth certificate. Next, I found the relative selection to be interesting. My parents were not listed, which I would think would be the first to pop up, but my uncle, brother and grandma were. When I tried to get the full report on myself, the link was invalid and I got a "Bad request" error. This website appeared to have more of a limited access to my life. 
Image Source: Author

    Furthermore, the next thing I searched my name on was TikTok. I was not shocked to find my "dog mom" TikTok to pop up. At one point (still working on it), I tried to make my German shepherd TikTok famous so I created an account for her, but I was the owner of it. It does not bother me that strangers or even my students can see this content because that is what I made it for. It is all appropriate videos of my dog living her best life. I think, if anything, it helps make people smile and I love that. On this platform, I want to spread positivity and happiness, so I am happy others can see it as well. Feel free to give Coco a follow at @cocochanelsmom. 

    Overall, the internet is a large place that holds more information than we could probably even imagine. The internet knows everyone's' digital tattoos and more! It is SO important for people to know at a young age the impact posting on the internet has. As soon as a student is allowed access to the internet growing up, they should be informed of the influence of the internet. As students mature, it is the responsibility of all of the adults or role models in their life to teach them about the internet. I believe parents should be the ones to monitor their personal social media content and teachers should be the ones investigating their educational use of the internet. I know my mom monitored mine growing up and now that I am older, I am thankful that she did! As a teacher, it is my job to monitor the internet platforms I introduce to them. It is a team effort to keep the younger generation safe and aware of the power of the internet.


Comments

  1. I agree wholeheartedly that it is a team effort to inform today's young people! Schools and parents need to form stronger partnerships around media use.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You make an excellent point that young people should be informed and taught from early age about the internet. I too found information about myself with one quick Google search. Perhaps schools should include a lesson in digital tattoos/footprints for all middle schoolers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Maggie, running a Google Search is fascinating for sure. When I used the data mine website, I was surprised to see they listed an uncle of mine. He lived in the Philippines all his life and has never come to the U.S. It made me wonder where the site got that information from. I like how you listed specific areas that parents and teachers should work on because it shows that everyone should be responsible for educating our students about digital literacy and safety. As for me, my parents never monitored my social media account. Amazingly, I valued my privacy enough to monitor my social media account and ensure that nothing damaging would impact my life later on. Ironically, my sisters and I monitor my mom's Facebook account since she tends to overshare or fact-check information.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Maggie! I felt the same as you as I completed the data mine for myself. It is so interesting to see what is out there! I completely agree that both parents and teachers should have some type of role in teaching children about appropriate social media use and the impact of digital tattoos. I like your suggestion that parents should monitor their child's social media use whereas teachers should be investigating Apps/platforms for educational purposes. Then, teachers can teach students about these Apps/platforms through an educational lens.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction

Personal Learning Network Assignment- Twitter

Reflective Blog Post EDU 774