Self-Evaluation Framework

 

SAMR Model

Image Source: Powerschool.com

Hi again! In this blog I am going to do a self-evaluation using the SAMR (Substitution, augmentation, modification, and redefinition) model. In this specific model I will judge what level of technology I integrate into my classroom. 

For starters, I will discuss what the SAMR model is-

Substitution: At this level, one uses technology instead of a traditional tool. For example, using an electronic copy of an article, instead of a paper copy. Or, using a computer instead of a typewriter. 

Augmentation: Within this level, similar to substitution, one uses technology instead of a traditional tool, but now with greater improvement.  For example, when tying a paper on Google, you use the spell-checker to check your work. 

Modification: Here, at this level, technology changes how the instruction is done in order to make the lesson the most effective as possible. This level of technology enhances the lessons. For example, using the online tool of Desmos and allowing the students to provide feedback to each other.

Redefinition: Finally at this level, technology allows brand new things into the teaching instruction. Without technology, this instruction would not be possible. For example, the students communicating with students in other schools to gather data for a project. 

    Using the SAMR model, I believe I fall into the category of "modification." In my classroom, I do use technology to make math engaging and interactive. I use technology tools like Desmos and the online platform of Summit to transform my lessons to be more effective. Without Desmos, I would not be able to provide the hands on activities it gives with immediate feedback. The platform of Summit allows students to work on their core subjects at different paces. This way students can work ahead if they are advanced and I can provide others with the proper support needed to make them successful. Summit is completely online and without this platform students would not be challenged and pushed to this extent. Another example is allowing students to use online graphing calculators. This can let the students visually interpret their graphs and manipulate them to obtain conceptual understanding. 
    I believe and I want to be able to take it to the next level of "redefinition." As I learn how to explore and use technological tools, I can then implement these skills into the classroom. If I used more virtual math activities and algorithms then I could completely transform the way I teach and how the students learn. The more I continue to expand the technology tools in my classroom, the more I can make math exciting and introduce new ways of learning. This will take more knowledge of technology tools, but I believe as I continue to teach, I can make it happen!

Sources:

Powerschool.com. (n.d.). https://www.powerschool.com/blog/samr-model-a-practical-guide-for-k-12-classroom-technology-integration/#:~:text=The%20SAMR%20Model%20Explained%20(with,Redefinition%20are%20%E2%80%9CTransformation%E2%80%9D%20steps.










Comments

  1. Hello, Maggie! Thank you for sharing your thoughts on where you place yourself on the SAMR model and, more importantly, WHY you view yourself there. I have never used, nor heard of, Desmos or Summit, but have reviewed the websites you linked, with ease of access, and am interested in the Summit learning platform. The website mentions that relationships are one of the cores of their foundation as teachers are mentors for the students. I think developing and, more importantly, maintaining that rapport is so essential in any learning environment. By having that trust, students are more willing to think outside the box as they know that their teacher has their best interest in mind. They will be more likely to give different programs or technology platforms their all because of the rapport they've built.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Maggie! I enjoyed reading your post and seeing where you place yourself on the model. I liked the Summit platform you talked about, I haven't heard of this before. It's nice for the students to have an opportunity to work at their own pace but also challenge themselves without feeling like they need to be at their peers level. I always find that it is fun to work new ways into teaching, for my students I know they seem more interested when anything is new to them. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Maggie! After looking over the SAMR model, I believe I am also in the "modification" tier of the framework. I agree with you that the more we practice using technology in the classroom, the more we will be able to transform our teaching and student learning into "redefinition". It is crazy to thin how quickly technology is advancing in our lives. Do you think we will all be at the "Redefinition" stage in only a few years? What will that look like for schools? Greta post! I totally agree with you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Maggie! Thank you for sharing your evaluation of the SAMR model. It sounds like you integrate technology often into your teaching. Both Desmos and Summit look like incredibly useful teaching tools and platforms for students to learn in the classroom.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction

Personal Learning Network Assignment- Twitter

Reflective Blog Post EDU 774